Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand;
The Value of Memorizing Scripture
Pastor John Piper spoke last Friday, April 13, at the Bethlehem Women's Ministry Spring Conference. On Saturday, a "Sermon Jam" video clip was played, in which Pastor John shared 8 reasons why memorizing Scripture is so valuable. The following was provided as a handout to attenders, and many have asked for this resource.
Memorizing Scripture: (8 sentences without exposition)
1. Makes meditation possible at times you can’t be reading the Bible, and meditation is the pathway to deeper understanding. So if you are going to meditate on the Lord day and night, you need to have some of it in your head.
2. Strengthens my faith because faith comes from hearing, and hearing from the Word of God and that happens when I am hearing the Word of God in my head.
3. Shapes the way I view the world by conforming my mind to God’s viewpoint on everything.
4. Makes God’s word more readily accessible in overcoming temptation to sin because God’s warnings and promises are the way we conqueror the deceitful lies of the devil.
5. Guards my mind, making it easier for me to detect error and the world is filled with error because the god of this world is a liar.
6. Enables me to hit the devil in the face with a force he cannot resist, to protect myself and my family from his assaults. What are YOU hitting him with? He’s a millions of times stronger than you and he hates you, and your family and your marriage and this church and God. How anybody walks through this devil-ruled world without a sword in their hand is beyond me.
7. Provides the strongest and sweetest words for ministering to others in need. Ever been caught off guard with somebody in need? You don’t need to be caught off guard.
8. Provides the matrix for fellowship with Jesus because He talks to me here and NO where else. But, oh sweetly, powerfully, authentically, really speaks to me here and then I speak back to Him in prayer. And if THIS is here, we can talk anywhere.
"Why Memorize Scripture?" a Taste and See article