Published by: Pam Larson
October 13, 2011
Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit." Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that." —James 4:13–15
Pastor John, in a sermon on this text, said
So what is the point? The point is that for James, and for God, it matters whether a true view of life informs and shapes the way you think and how you speak about your plans. Your mindset matters. How you talk about your plans matters. Ponder this. Believing that your life is a vapor may make no practical, bottom-line difference in whether you plan to do business in a place for one month or one year or ten years. But, in James' mind - and he speaks for God - it makes a difference how you think about it and talk about it. "Come now you who say . . ."
Why? Why does that matter? Because God created us not just to do things and go places with our bodies, but to have certain attitudes and convictions and verbal descriptions that reflect the truth - a true view of life and God. God means for the truth about himself and about life to be known and felt and spoken as part of our reason for being.
God has revealed the truth about himself in his written Word, the Bible, and in his living, incarnate Word, his Son, Jesus Christ. Hebrews 1 tells us:
but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power.
Women's Ministry invites you to "And The Word Became Flesh," a special time of worship and music, celebrating Jesus. This will be a wonderful opportunity to invite friends or neighbors. So, if the Lord wills:
- Only 73 days until Christmas.
- Only 50 days until Women's Ministry Christmas Musical Celebration, December 3, 2011.
- Only 30 days until November 12/13, when tickets go on sale for the Christmas Celebration Luncheon. Visit our tables after Sat PM and Sun AM services, all campuses, while supplies last.
- If the tickets are sold out, please still stop by our tables Nov 12/13 for complimentary program tickets!
For more information, or if you are interested in being a table hostess for the luncheon, contact Pam Larson 612.338.7653 x472
And, if the Lord wills:
- Only 6 months until our 2012 Women's Ministry Spring Conference!
- Early-bird registration for Bethlehem women will launch at the tables on Nov 12/13