But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
While holed up in my room at Shalom House during the Pastors’ Study Break I finished my (first) reading of Dennis Rainey’s new book, Stepping Up: A Call to Courageous Manhood. Some excerpts:
- “Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important.”—Ambrose Redmoon
- In order for a man to be courageous, he must know the truth about who God is.
- Another good man standing alongside you will help you be courageous.
- Pleasure and pain were both meant to be experienced by men.
- “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.”—Anais Nin
- Initiative is at the heart of manhood.
For more on biblical manhood, consider attending the Desiring God conference at the end of the month, or come hear Doug Wilson/Bill Farley speak on spiritual parenting at the Downtown and North campuses.
Pastor Sam Crabtree is Bethlehem's Pastor for Small Groups, North.