For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.
While holed up in my room at Shalom House during the Pastors’ Study Break I finished my (first) reading of Dennis Rainey’s new book, Stepping Up: A Call to Courageous Manhood. Some excerpts:
- “Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important.”—Ambrose Redmoon
- In order for a man to be courageous, he must know the truth about who God is.
- Another good man standing alongside you will help you be courageous.
- Pleasure and pain were both meant to be experienced by men.
- “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.”—Anais Nin
- Initiative is at the heart of manhood.
For more on biblical manhood, consider attending the Desiring God conference at the end of the month, or come hear Doug Wilson/Bill Farley speak on spiritual parenting at the Downtown and North campuses.
Pastor Sam Crabtree is Bethlehem's Pastor for Small Groups, North.