One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple. [For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will lift me high upon a rock.]
While holed up in my room at Shalom House during the Pastors’ Study Break I finished my (first) reading of Dennis Rainey’s new book, Stepping Up: A Call to Courageous Manhood. Some excerpts:
- “Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important.”—Ambrose Redmoon
- In order for a man to be courageous, he must know the truth about who God is.
- Another good man standing alongside you will help you be courageous.
- Pleasure and pain were both meant to be experienced by men.
- “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.”—Anais Nin
- Initiative is at the heart of manhood.
For more on biblical manhood, consider attending the Desiring God conference at the end of the month, or come hear Doug Wilson/Bill Farley speak on spiritual parenting at the Downtown and North campuses.
Pastor Sam Crabtree is Bethlehem's Executive Pastor and Lead Pastor for Life Training.