The eyes of the LORD are toward the righteous and his ears toward their cry. The face of the LORD is against those who do evil, to cut off the memory of them from the earth.
Praying for Jason Meyer
Jason Meyer is the candidate for Associate Pastor for Preaching & Vision to be voted upon May 20. Last week we received the following wonderful inquiry:
“My small group has decided to take four Tuesdays (including last night), to fast and pray for our church and its leaders during this transition. I wanted to ask if there are certain things that we should be praying for beyond the obvious.
“Jason, we wanted to ask you personally if there are things that we can pray for you and your family during these four weeks. Don't feel like you have to share anything—I know you're probably being bombarded with things like this, and I don't want to add to your pile. We want to be an encouragement to you, though, so even if you aren't able to give us anything, know that we're spending 45 minutes every Tuesday night praying for you!
“Sam, I thought it might be a helpful thing to mention to you because I doubt that my small group is the only one doing something like this. It seems like something was posted when Pastor John was on sabbatical, and we were thinking it could be beneficial for the church body to have specific things we can be praying for. There's a lot of information already posted on the website that we can glean from, so we don't feel like we're missing anything, but it could be good to have just a simple list. I'm not asking you to do it, I just wanted to throw the idea out there. And you should know that, as one of our pastors, we're praying for you, too.”
My response to this small group leader?
Here are 10 ways to pray for Jason Meyer:
Please pray for ...
- sustaining grace as Jason preaches [April 28/29 (Downtown, Sat pm & South, Sun am); May 5/6 (Downtown); May 12/13 (Downtown, Sat pm & North, Sun am)]
- clarity in the hearts of voters regarding God’s will
- confirmation of God’s will in the heart of Cara
- sustained momentum and growth in church ministries and giving during the transition
- progress in sanctification for all participants
- good modeling for young people who are considering a call to ministry
- good communication with the congregation throughout the process
- Satan’s darts to be overcome, his kingdom taking losses
- greater faith in the hearts of the people, young and old
- Christ to be honored mightily.
Pastor Sam Crabtree is Bethlehem's Pastor for Small Groups, North.