Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
9 Things About Listening
In a recent Fighter Verse, Solomon said, “He who is often reproved, yet stiffens his neck, will suddenly be broken beyond healing. A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back” (Proverbs 29:1, 11).
That sounds remarkably similar to what James said: “Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness that God requires” (James 1:19–20).
Here are seven more things about listening:
- The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.—Proverbs 12:15
- Whoever ignores instruction despises himself, but he who listens to reproof gains intelligence.—Proverbs 15:32
- He who has ears to hear, let him hear.—Matthew 11:15
- Then Pilate said to him, "So you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world- to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice."—John 18:37
- They are from the world; therefore they speak from the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us.—1 John 4:5–6
- “It takes a great man to be a good listener.”—Calvin Coolidge
- “From listening comes wisdom and from speaking comes regret.”—fortune cookie (it was that fortune cookie that got me thinking about listening)