Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand;
9 Things About Listening
In a recent Fighter Verse, Solomon said, “He who is often reproved, yet stiffens his neck, will suddenly be broken beyond healing. A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back” (Proverbs 29:1, 11).
That sounds remarkably similar to what James said: “Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness that God requires” (James 1:19–20).
Here are seven more things about listening:
- The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.—Proverbs 12:15
- Whoever ignores instruction despises himself, but he who listens to reproof gains intelligence.—Proverbs 15:32
- He who has ears to hear, let him hear.—Matthew 11:15
- Then Pilate said to him, "So you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world- to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice."—John 18:37
- They are from the world; therefore they speak from the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us.—1 John 4:5–6
- “It takes a great man to be a good listener.”—Calvin Coolidge
- “From listening comes wisdom and from speaking comes regret.”—fortune cookie (it was that fortune cookie that got me thinking about listening)