For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness. For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly. [O LORD of hosts, blessed is the one who trusts in you!]
Covenant membership is a commitment to one another—a willing pledge to guard, care, submit, support, and minister together for the building up of our church body.
Step 1: Membership Class
The membership class has a two-fold purpose.
- To provide an informal setting to learn what the pastoral staff, church, and Baptists in general believe on various topics. All are welcome, whether or not they are interested in membership.
- To give an opportunity for potential members to become acquainted with a pastor who can help them connect with one or more of the church's ministries. The membership class is a requirement for church membership.
We invite you to attend a membership class at your primary campus to begin connecting with others where you plan to worship and serve. If your schedule does not permit that, we do allow for attendance at another campus, as needed. Note: We try to limit capacity to about 30 people to facilitate interaction. Please click on one of the dates below to register for a class.
Downtown Campus Classes:
- Saturday, January 16, 2016 (9am–2pm)
- Sundays, February 21, 28, March 6, 2016 (11:00am–12:30pm)
- Sundays, April 17, 24, May 1, 2016 (11:00am–12:30pm)
- Saturday, July 9, 2016 (9am–2pm)
- Sundays, September 25, October 2, 9, 2016 (11:00am–12:30pm)
- Saturday, December 3, 2016 (9am–2pm)
North Campus Classes:
- Friday & Saturday, January 15–16, 2016 (7–9pm & 9am–Noon)
- Mondays, February 29 & March 7, 2016 (6:30–9pm)
- Friday & Saturday, June 17–18, 2016 (7–9pm & 9am–Noon)
- Friday & Saturday, September 30 – October 1, 2016 (7–9pm & 9am–Noon)
- Attending sessions of the Getting Acquainted With Bethlehem Class also fulfills the teaching requirement of the membership process.
South Campus Classes:
- Friday & Saturday, February 5–6, 2016 (7–9pm & 9am–Noon) Online Registration TBA
- Monday & Tuesday, March 28–29, 2016 (6:30–9:00pm) Online Registration TBA
Step 2: Baptism (if needed)
If you have not yet been baptized as a believer by immersion, baptism is the next step to proceeding toward covenant membership.
Step 3: Elder Interview
An elder from your primary campus will be assigned to meet with you. Some goals of this interview are:
- To learn how the Lord saved you.
- To confirm that you understand the meaning of church membership.
- To confirm that there are no biblically warranted concerns with your joining Bethlehem as a covenant member.
- To answer questions or help you find opportunities to connect at Bethlehem.
Step 4: Covenant Affirmation
Covenant Affirmation is held during our weekend worship services four times per year to welcome new members. At these services, each personing joining affirms the Church Covenant before the congregation and is officially received into membership at Bethlehem.
We list the names of potential new members in the Bethlehem Weekly e-newsletter prior to each Covenant Affirmation and ask that if anyone has concerns about someone proceeding toward membership, they contact us as quickly as possible.
See a list of upcoming Covenant Affirmation Weekends on our calendar.
If you are interested in joining Bethlehem, please contact your campus administrative assistant: