Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth! Serve the LORD with gladness! Come into his presence with singing! Know that the LORD, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
To spread a passion for the supremacy of God in all things for the joy of all peoples through Jesus Christ, particularly by preaching the Word of God and leading the elders of Bethlehem under the leadership of the Pastor for Preaching & Vision so that the mission of the church is carried out, the theological teaching of the Elder Affirmation of Faith is joyfully embraced, and the “10 Dimensions of Church Life” are made manifest.
Qualifications and Requirements:
The Associate Pastor for Preaching & Vision will be expected to joyfully minister in accord with the Bethlehem Pastor’s Covenant. He should endeavor to experience and maintain the joyful camaraderie and creative complementation of gifts and ministries of the Pastor for Preaching & Vision, Executive Pastor, vocational pastors, elders and staff.
The Associate Pastor for Preaching & Vision will be a member in good standing of Bethlehem Baptist Church. If not a member when called by the church, he will complete the process within three months of the date when employment begins. Beyond the doctrinal and ethical implications in embracing our Affirmation of Faith and our Church Covenant (implicit in membership), the Associate Pastor for Preaching & Vision will manifest a hearty support for the leadership of the church in general and specifically for that of the Pastor for Preaching & Vision.
He shall have a good grasp and hearty endorsement of the biblical and theological orientation of the leadership of Bethlehem as expressed in the Bethlehem Baptist Church Elder Affirmation of Faith. The Associate Pastor for Preaching & Vision needs to meet the spiritual and character qualifications of elder as found in 1 Timothy 3:1–7 and Titus 1:6–9 and to exhibit the fruit of the Spirit as found in Galatians 5:22. He should be wise, discerning, decisive, sensitive, tender, and firm. He should be a man of prayer and a man of the Word, sensitive to what the Spirit is saying to Bethlehem. He should devote himself to daily prayer and Bible reading for the sake of guarding himself from sin and stirring up his heart and mind to renewed passion for Christ and should lead his family in regular times in the Word and prayer.
The Associate Pastor for Preaching & Vision shall have at least a Masters’ level training or its equivalent.
- Leadership—the Pastor should be able to lead in a variety of contexts (individual, small groups, large groups) in such a way that Jesus Christ and his gospel are central. He should be a self-starter and an initiative-taker.
- Relational—the Pastor should have a heart to care for people, not just manage systems; that drive should manifest itself in the appropriation of time.
- Administrative—while seeking mainly to shepherd people, the Pastor should have the skill set and ability to effectively manage the various administrative tasks associated with the position.
- Preacher—the Pastor should be an effective preacher who is able to rightly handle the Word and joyfully engage in expository exultation personally, while identifying competent campus preachers who speak especially to his campus’ unique context.
- Teacher/Equipper—the Pastor should be able to effectively “equip the saints for the work of the ministry.”
- Communicator—the Pastor should be able to clearly and concisely communicate the needs and aims of the campus to all-church leadership and similarly communicate decisions from all-church leadership to campus staff and congregation.
- Peacemaker—the Pastor should be able to tactfully and winsomely unite people with varying perspectives to advance harmony and love and to achieve common goals.
Essential Ministry Responsibilities:
- Grow in grace and knowledge of God…
- By maintaining a devotional life of prayer and meditation on the Word.
- By faith-enriching reading and study.
- By engagement in personal and corporate worship.
- By glad participation in mutual care and accountability with other believers.
- Preach and teach on a schedule befitting the transitional season Bethlehem is in
- Provide general leadership of the pastoral staff (under the Pastor for Preaching & Vision)
- Engage in crisis response
- Carry out special projects
- And do whatever the Lord directs through the Pastor for Preaching & Vision and the Elder Council