For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.
Bethlehem’s Minister for Global Outreach Role & Candidate Todd Rasmuson
What is Bethlehem’s Missions pastor history?
Bethlehem has had two Missions pastors to date—Tom Steller (part-time) and Erik Hyatt (full-time).
Does Bethlehem need a full-time Minister for Global Outreach?
Yes, we believe so. Bethlehem currently supports more than 100 Global Outreach families all over the world.
What are Todd’s qualifications?
- Todd belongs to Jesus. When Todd was a child, God touched Todd’s heart with the gospel story through his sister after she returned from a church camp. Over the years, God has provided Todd with a number of mentors and teachers. Todd’s desire is to use his life and gifts to glorify God by advancing the cause of Global Outreach.
- Todd knows Bethlehem and many of our global partners. He’s been a member since 1987 and an elder since 2006. This means that he understands the challenges and complexities of Bethlehem as both a leader and as a former global partner, and he would be uniquely suited to transition into this role and provide leadership and pastoral care at Bethlehem (which he is already doing).
- Todd knows missions, both as a missionary and as a missions leader. Bethlehem sent him as one of our long-term global partners. In 1994 he went out with Mission: Moving Mountains, serving in Tanzania as a missionary for eight years, and then as their president for four years (until they merged with another agency). He was then Executive Director of Daystar University in Kenya for five years.
- Todd’s experience not only shows he knows Bethlehem and missions, but that he has a calling and proven experience as an elder and in pastoral ministry.
- Todd’s wife, Tamara, is very supportive and eager to help Todd in this ministry.
Did we look beyond Bethlehem to fill this position?
Yes. The elders appointed a search committee in September 2011, led by North Campus Elder Steve Stein. The committee received applications from around the world and seriously considered eight applicants (two from inside the church and six outside the church) and interviewed four.
If called, when would Todd begin?
Todd is already serving as Interim Director for Global Outreach. If called, he would transition to the role of Minister for Global Outreach.
Do our elders recommend him?
Yes, unanimously. The search committee also had a unanimous recommendation. We also sought feedback from our pastoral staff and global partners.