To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing so you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
In dependence on God, the aim of all Ministry Assistant positions at Bethlehem is to whole-heartedly glorify Jesus Christ, seeking to spread a passion for the supremacy of God in all things for the joy of all peoples through Jesus Christ by providing administrative support to their specific area of ministry, and general support to the needs of the church office. Ministry Assistants shall maintain a Christian spirit of love and service toward the Bethlehem staff, congregation, and those we serve, in accordance with the church’s vision and philosophy of ministry.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- The Ministry Assistant will be a member in good standing of Bethlehem Baptist Church. If not a member when called to the church, the Ministry Assistant will complete the process within three months of the date when employment begins.
- Beyond the doctrinal and ethical implications of embracing our Affirmation of Faith and our Church Covenant (implicit in membership) the Ministry Assistant will manifest support for the leadership of the church (elders and pastoral staff) in general and specifically for that of their area of ministry.
- The Ministry Assistant should view this position as a ministry to be done in the power of the Holy Spirit, under-girded with prayer, guided by the scriptures and manifesting the character of Christ for the glory of God.
- The Ministry Assistant will be expected to faithfully perform all duties in a way that honors Christ and is an example to others.
- The Ministry Assistant will sustain a vital, growing relationship with the Lord through personal and corporate worship, study of God's Word, prayer, and regular, ongoing fellowship with believers at Bethlehem.
- The Ministry Assistant will carry out duties with total honesty and integrity, and maintain cordial compatibility with the rest of the staff.
- The Ministry Assistant will have the organizational skills necessary to work effectively within the context of a large church with multiple staff and ministries.
- The Ministry Assistant will maintain strict confidentiality according to the guidelines set forth in the Bethlehem Employee Handbook.
- The Ministry Assistant will have experience with Microsoft Office programs, and general office equipment.
Personal and Ministry Skills:
Should be …
- A self-starter and an initiative-taker
- Detail oriented
Should have …
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent presentation/verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Energy and stamina
- Team orientation—collaborate well with others
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs
- Strong creative and conceptual thinking
- Team orientation
- Ability to work well under direct supervision or independently.
Essential Ministry Responsibilties:
- Perform all administrative assistance tasks assigned including, but not limited to:
- Correspondence – email/phone/letter
- Word processing
- Research projects
- Preparing/creating promotional materials
- Run errands as necessary
- Encourage and assist congregational members in particular area of responsibility
- Participate in staff meetings required for this position
- Cross-train with other support staff as needed
- Answer phone and door in absence of Receptionist and any other duties as requested by the Office Manager
- Perform other duties as assigned
With a love for Jesus and a heart of the nations, the Ministry Assistant for Global Outreach will serve as an organized and efficient multi-tasker, and a prompt and warm communicator, coming alongside other Global Outreach staff members and volunteers so that important tasks are completed in a timely manner. Tasks listed below may be done in conjunction with other Global Outreach staff.
- Global partner correspondence:
- As a norm reply to Global Partners within 24 hours. Some of the replies will have answers to their questions, but some replies will let Global Partners know that the communication has been received with a suggested timeline for completing the task, and/or a update that the email has been sent along to the appropriate person who will complete the task.
- Make sure that an answer is provided back to the Global Partner in the given time frame
- If the Global Partner correspondence is a regular newsletter where no response is requested, make sure that newsletters are forwarded and saved
- General communication:
- Answer phones and general email for Global Outreach in a timely and professional manner, incorporating others as needed and following up when necessary to make sure that items do not fall into cracks
- Update the hopeinGod website as needed
- Communicate with Bethlehem staff to promote such things as Global Focus, Getting Acquainted, Missions Fellowship, Nurture Program Orientation, Missions in the Main Hall, Perspectives, Urbana, etc.
- Manage Global Outreach data:
- Organize documents in Dropbox, develop Excel spreadsheets (or other methods) to keep track of such things as Global Partner’s home assignment dates and when last visited on the field and by whom, Barnabas Team information, and Nurture Program participation
- Update Fellowship One with Global Partner information when appropriate
- Update the Global Outreach policy handbooks as directed
- Create communication to encourage our congregation to pray for Global Outreach
- Coordinate Global Outreach events: Working with Global Outreach staff, other Bethlehem staff, and volunteers, help plan and carry out various events such as Global Focus, Nurture program retreats, hosting international guests, GP social events, etc.
- Attend relevant Global Outreach meetings:
- Attend a weekly Global Outreach staff meeting and take minutes for that meeting
- Generally, evening Global Outreach team meetings will not be required as part of the Ministry Assistant’s hours
- Update the Global Outreach budget status monthly
- Keep Global Partner budgets current with the accounting department
- Assist the Minister of Global Outreach in preparing the annual budget
- Help update the Global Outreach team on budget matters
- Reimbursements: Help submit receipts and financial forms for Global Outreach expenses in a timely manner
- Assist the Minister for Global Outreach with scheduling and email and voicemail:
- Assist the Minister for Global Outreach in making appointments with Global Partners Nurture Program candidates and others as needed
- Check the Minister for Global Outreach’s email and voicemail each week day and organize them by priority, alerting the Minister for Global Outreach to critical issues
- Check on time-sensitive tasks related to Global Outreach: Work with all the support staff serving with Global Outreach and Short Term Ministry Mobilization to see that important tasks are being completed in a timely manner. This could be handled by a daily or every-other day 10-minute meeting or phone call.
- Global Partner Coordination:
- Schedule commissionings, debriefings, and/or reporting opportunities for career and mid-term Global Partners
- As appropriate, see to it that Bethlehem Global Partners regularly receive news of the church (e.g. monthly mailing of STARs, sermon CD’s, and special church mailings)
- Update, create, or recreate whatever means necessary to make our individual Global Partners “known” by the church family (Global Partner prayer flip-charts, missionary displays in Commons, and Global Partner of the Week slide for weekend services)
- Assist Bethlehem Global Partners on home assignment with housing, transportation, reporting opportunities, counseling appointments and other needed logistics
- Work to bring the Global Outreach Teams up to date on Global Partner issues
- Other: Assist Global Outreach with other tasks as a team player when needed