He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever.—Isaiah 40:8
God’s Word is eternal, steadfast, sure. His promises are like a mountain, a rock that cannot be moved. Nothing can, or ever will, change what God has said. Every word that goes forth from his mouth will accomplish the purposes for which he has sent it.
Is it any wonder the psalmist says in Psalm 119, “Your testimonies are my delight; they are my counselors. …Your statutes have been my songs. … Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day. … Your promise is well tried, and your servant loves it”? (Psalm 119:24, 54, 97, 140).
If you have faithfully stored up God’s Word in your heart by memorizing the weekly Fighter Verses, you may understand the motivation of the psalmist—the more you memorize, the more your love for God’s unchangeable Word grows, the deeper your knowledge and trust in him, and the more you overflow in praise to him. Treasuring God’s Word in our hearts also yields the benefit of victory in the fight of faith.
God’s Word does not change and its benefits do not change, but the choice of verses included in our Fighter Verse sets and memorization plan can change. This January, we will launch restructured Fighter Verse sets, newly named Sets 1–5 and extended sets, along with broadened electronic resources and fresh graphic designs.
From the inception of the Fighter Verse memorization program, God has given us an unwavering vision for each person at Bethlehem—that you would love the Bible and know it is God’s Word breathed on you, profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness—that you would be obedient to it, become fully equipped by it, able to glorify God in the face of the enemies of your soul (Satan, the flesh, and the world), competent and ready for every good work, fighting the fight of faith until that day you stand before Jesus, your loving Savior and Lord (2 Timothy 3:16–17).
This victory is our vision and goal for every person who joins in the Fighter Verse memorization plan.
On Wednesday, January 5, Bethlehem will come together at the Downtown Campus to begin a new year of Fighter Verse memorization. The annual Fighter Verse Kick-Off has become a beloved tradition at Bethlehem, and this year, alongside the tradition, we will launch important changes to our memorization plan. Our earnest hope is that you will join us in memorizing Fighter Verses Set 1.
Let’s pray for one another to stand firm, to take up the “sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God” and fight the fight of faith by memorizing the unfading, unchanging, eternal Word of God in 2011.
Grace and peace to you in Jesus’ name,
Coordinator for Family Life & Events
on behalf of the Bethlehem Fighter Verse Team
Three Collections of Fighter Verse Sets
- Legacy: Original Sets A–E of Fighter Verses in use at Bethlehem 1997–2010
- Fighter Verses: New Sets 1–5 to be used at Bethlehem beginning January 2011
- Extended Memory: New Sets of Fighter Verses made up of extended passages such Matthew 5–7 and Romans 5–8
Resources Free of Charge
- FighterVerses.com, featuring …
- weekly devotional blog
- audio of verse
- ESV verses put to song
- access to many new resources
- Audio CD of Set 1 (will be available, one per household, at Fighter Verse Kick-Off Downtown, January 5)
- Bookmark for your Bible as a weekly reminder
Resources for Purchase
- iPhone\iPad\iTouch App via iTunes
- ESV Songs via iTunes coming soon
- Memorization Journal including …
- Fighter Verse Set cards (Sets 1–5 and Extended) in a 2-ring binder
- Pen with holder
- Writing tablet
- Choice of red or black versions
(All items are enclosed in a padded vinyl journal-sized notebook with clasp.)
- Fighter Verse Pack: 2-ring compact binder with cards (Sets 1–5 or Extended Memory)
- Table Tops for Set 1: 5”x7” card stock of verses with color image
Deep discounts will be given on these resources at the Fighter Verse Kick-Off.