Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand;
What Is Baptism?
Baptism is a visible symbol of God's saving work within a person. It is the outward sign of belonging to the people of God—those who have repented and put their faith in Jesus Christ. You should be baptized if you have repented of your sins and believed on Christ alone for salvation and have not already been baptized as a believer by immersion.
Step 1: Baptism Class
The first step is to attend a baptism class at the campus where you typically worship.
Please click on one of the dates below to register for a class.
Downtown Campus Classes:
- Tuesday, November 15, 2016 (6:00–8:00pm)
- Sunday, January 29, 2017 (11:00am–12:30pm)
- Saturday, February 25, 2017 (9:00–11:00am)
- Tuesday, June 20, 2017 (6:00–8:00pm)
North Campus Classes:
South Campus Classes:
Note: If your schedule does not permit attending a class at your campus, you may attend a class at another campus.
Step 2: Elder Interview
Those who complete the baptism will then be interviewed by an elder from his or her campus. The elder will listen to the story of how the Lord saved you and ask why you would like to be baptized.
Step 3: Baptism Service
If the elder senses that you are ready for baptism, the final step is to sign up for a baptism service. Baptisms are generally scheduled during Wednesday Connection or weekend worship services. Each baptism candidate briefly will share his or her testimony (either read in person or pre-recorded) during the service before getting baptized.
If you are interested in starting the process of baptism, please contact your campus administrative assistant:
- Downtown: Kevin Dau (612-338-7653 x493)
- North: Heather Douglas (612-455-0800 x803)
- South: Ruth Chavis (612-746-2650 x654)
What to Expect at the Baptism Service
Though there may be some variations, here is the basic schedule of a baptism service:
- The pastor will meet with baptism candidates 30–45 minutes before the service starts. Candidates will change into a baptism robe (provided) and the pastor will pray and talk through the ceremony.
- At the beginning of the baptism service, the pastor will say a devotional word about baptism.
- The pastor will ask the candidates to join him at the front to share their names, their testimonies, and why they want to be baptized.
- The candidates will join the pastor one at a time in the water.
- The pastor will ask the following questions of each candidate:
- Are you now trusting in Jesus Christ alone for the forgiveness of your sins and the fulfillment of all God's promises to you, even eternal life?
- Do you forsake Satan and all his works and all his ways?
- Do you intend with God's help to obey Jesus's teaching and follow him as your Lord?
- The pastor will then immerse the candidate after saying: "On the profession of your faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and in obedience to his command, I now baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."
- After everyone has been baptized, the pastor generally will invite people to come forward and pray for those just baptized.
- The pastor closes with prayer.