but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Covenant membership is a commitment to one another—a willing pledge to guard, care, submit, support, and minister together for the building up of our church body.
Step 1: Membership Class
Upcoming membership classes:
- South: May 2–3 (Fri–Sat, 501 Bldg)
- Downtown: May 3 (Sat)
- North: July 11–12 (Fri–Sat)
Note: We limit capacity to 30 people to facilitate interaction.
The membership class has a two-fold purpose.
- To provide an informal setting to learn what the pastoral staff, church, and Baptists in general believe on various topics. All are welcome, whether or not they are interested in membership.
- To give an opportunity for potential members to become acquainted with a pastor who can help them connect with one or more of the church's ministries. The membership class is a requirement for church membership.
We try to limit capacity to about 30 people to facilitate interaction. Please contact Amy Katterson (612-746-2650 x651) to pre-register.
Step 2: Baptism (if needed)
If you have not yet been baptized as a believer by immersion, baptism is the next step to proceeding toward covenant membership.
Read more information on baptism.
Step 3: Elder Interview
One or two elders will be assigned to meet with you for an elder interview.
Goals of this interview:
- To learn how the Lord drew you to himself.
- To confirm you have a good understanding of the meaning of church membership.
- To confirm that there are no biblically warranted concerns with your joining Bethlehem as a covenant member.
- To answer questions or help you find opportunities to connect at Bethlehem.
Step 4: Covenant Affirmation
A Covenant Affirmation is held during our weekend worship services four times a year. Each potential new member voices his or her hearty "I do" to the Church Covenant and is received by congregational vote into Bethlehem's membership during one of these services.
We list the names of potential new members in the Bethlehem Weekly e-newsletter prior to the Covenant Affirmation and ask that if anyone has concerns about someone proceeding toward membership, they contact us as quickly as possible.
See a list of upcoming Covenant Affirmation Weekends on our calendar.